References to References to Commissioner's actions in Fundamental Rights Report 2022
Explicit reference to the Institution of the Commissioner for Administration and the Protection of Human Rights in the Report on Fundamental Rights 2022 (Fundamental Rights Report 2022) of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), published on 8 June 2022.
FRA Report summarizes and analyzes the most important developments in the field of human rights during 2021 in the EU.
The Report is divided into Chapters, each of which cites, inter alia, examples of good practice concerning each EU country.
In relation to Cyprus in particular, reference is made to reports, actions and interventions of the Commissioner for Administration and Protection of Human Rights in 2021, for the purpose of promoting and protecting human rights in the Republic of Cyprus.
In Chapter 2 "European Charter of Fundamental Rights" regarding the role of independent bodies in the implementation of the Charter, it is noted that "...in Cyprus, the Commissioner for Administration and the Protection for Human Rights cooperates with the Managing Authority. All project proposals have to receive a compliance certificate from the Commissioner in order to be eligible for selection and receive co-financing by the EU Funds...".
In Chapter 4 "Racism, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance" refers to:
References to Commissioner for Administration and the Protection of Human Rights' actions in Fundamental Rights Report 2022
In Chapter 8 "Rights of the Child" is noted Commissioner's Report under her mandates as the National Mechanism for the Prevention of Torture and as National Human Rights Institution, regarding the visit to the Center for Temporary Reception and Accommodation of Immigrants in "Pournara.
In Chapter 10 "Developments in the Implementation of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities" indicates:
- Indervention of the Commissioner, under her mandates as an Agency for Equality and Anti-Discrimination and as a National Authority for Human Rights, regarding the rhetoric that promotes racism and xenophobia and the specific implications that this rhetoric has when it develops in the network.
- The case of racism against a footballer, and the indication by the Commissioner of the responsibility of the State to apply preventive and repressive measures in football and sports and to protect the victims of such incidents, through her Ex-Officio Intervention as Equality Body and National Human Rights Institution, regarding the elimination of racist incidents from football and the wider field of sports.
- In the online information campaign on hate speech and freedom of expression conducted by Commissioner's Office.
Link to Fundamental Rights Report 2022: https://bit.ly/3xVyefd
- Commissioner's Intervention under her mandate as an Independent Mechanism for the Promotion, Protection and Monitoring of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, regarding the distance education of children attending the Special Units of Primary Schools.
- The Awareness Campaign regarding “Equal Participation of Persons with Disabilities in Elections”. Specifically, «…In Cyprus, the Commissioner for Administration and the Protection of Human Rights (Ombudsman) launched an Awareness Campaign regarding “Equal Participation of Persons with Disabilities in Elections”. Specifically, an Own Initiative Report was submitted about the civil rights of persons with disabilities and their equal participation in elections. An information leaflet was also prepared and published with information about the rights of persons with disabilities before and during election procedures. The Report and the leaflet were sent to all implicated public authorities, to the representative organizations of persons with disabilities and to the political parties. The information leaflet has been prepared in audio format as well…».